Where can you build a windmill, take an 1859 Balloon Voyage and shop in an 1836 general store?! Look no further than Conner Prairie in Fishers, Indiana. This interactive outdoor museum will take your family on a journey of adventure while sparking creativity and learning along the way. Here are six reasons why Conner Prairie is the perfect family retreat.
Conner Prairie Has An Epic Discovery Station
Stepping foot into this extraordinary play area left me flabbergasted. The endless activity stations and imaginary play areas are every parent’s dream come true. This indoor, air-conditioned discovery center allows kids to build their own hideaways, dress up and pretend. A general store, barn and log cabin beckon children to make-believe.
Climb inside a Tree House
Take A Balloon Voyage
One of Conner Prairie’s most notable attractions is the historic 1859 Balloon Voyage. Guests can soar up to 370 ft in a helium-filled tethered balloon. The enclosed gondola allows balloon voyagers the opportunity to walk about and take in the scenic views of the Prairie once you have reached the desired altitude. Tickets for the Balloon Voyage are sold separately at the Balloon Kiosk which is located
After you have purchased your tickets you will then wait in the balloon queue for the next available ride. Rides typically last 15 minutes round trip. Once you have boarded you will note that the gondola is surrounded by a guardrail and netting. This puts nervous parents at ease. We took our 15-month-old daughter and on our flight, there were children younger and older than her enjoying the views. During landing the gondola does roll around a bit, so be sure to hang on!
Ensure that you have checked to see if the balloon is flying prior to your visit. High winds and bad weather will keep the balloon grounded. In the event that you have already purchased a ticket and weather has prohibited flight, check with the balloon kiosk about receiving a refund or rain check.
Step Back Into History at Conner Prairie
Farm Yard Friends
Endless Opportunities to Create
Everywhere we looked there was an opportunity to create. Stepping inside the Create. Connect exhibit children are able to learn about science, math, and technology in a hands-on environment. Crafts were abundant, experiments with wind captured the attention of young and old, then throw in the opportunity to design and build a real windmill to wow the crowd. I felt that there were some parents who were enjoying this area even more than the kids! As you make your way throughout Conner Prairie there is something to discover or create in every part of your journey, so keep your eyes peeled!
A Few Tips For Visiting Conner Prairie
- Bring a stroller if you have a little one who may get tired. There is a lot of walking here and trust me, you don’t want to have to carry them back to the car.
- There is a restaurant and places to buy snacks, bottled water, and drinks. I would recommend having one with you at all times, especially during warmer days.
- Wear sunscreen! Portions of Conner Prairie is shaded, but there are areas that will have you exposed to the elements. Come prepared.
- Also bug repellent.
- We opted to do the balloon voyage first. That way we knew our little one would be in a good mood and would tolerate it.
- There is a tram that will bring you back to the Balloon Voyage from the Civil War Journey and vice versa.
- Check out their calendar for special events happening. We visited during the Festival of Machines, which is the equivalent to the “Disney World” of Touch a Trucks.
- Check out Conner Prairie’s website to develop a game plan for your day. Going in with goals on what to see will help you navigate and coordinator your schedule.
Looking for more to explore while visiting Indiana? Discovery more fun things to do near Conner Prairie here.