Festival season is right around the corner and we have a small-town, Indiana festival that is bound to tickle your ears. Imagine musicians playing on porches all throughout your neighborhood, add in local eats and sprinkle in that Indiana hospitality and you have yourself Carmel Porchfest. It is said that when you are looking for a great neighborhood to live in, look for one that hosts a Porchfest. That statement echoed through my head the entire time we were strolling through Porchfest because I envied those who had a front row seat to such a wholesome family-friendly festival. Grab your lawn chairs, load the cooler and head on down for an afternoon of astounding music and entertainment.
What is Porchfest
Porchfest is a family-friendly event that features local musicians performing on neighborhood porches. Performances include a variety of musical acts, including acoustic to electric and solo to a whole band!
Every September in a small neighborhood in Carmel Indiana, local porches transforms into stages as visitors line the streets with blankets and chairs to listen to the tunes. The porches are scattered throughout a neighborhood with each one hosting a different genre and act.
Know Before You Go
- 2019 Carmel Porchfest will be held on September 15th from 1:00 PM to 5:30 PM
- Porchfest is located in the Carmel Arts and Design District off of Main Street and Ridgeline Road
- You can see and access it from the Monon Trail
- Admission is FREE!
- Parking can be found on the street or in the Sophia Square Parking Garage.
- Food vendors are located throughout the streets offering tons of great local favorites.
What To Expect at Carmel Porchfest
Upon entering, you are given a lanyard with the lineup and schedule so you can plan accordingly. I was always intrigued about who would be playing around the next corner. New acts start every 15-30 minutes, so there is always a variety.
Local food vendors and sponsors have booths scattered throughout the streets. Wine and beer are available for purchase but must be kept within festival limits.
Tips For An Amazing Porchfest
- Many artists and bands have a big following. The front yards and street viewing can be tight when they are set to perform. Arrive early if you want to ensure a good spot for a particular act.
- Pack a cooler. Throw in a couple of bottles of water, snacks and whatever else you choose to nosh on.
- Bring an umbrella, for two reasons: one in case it rains, and two, to protect you from the sun in the event it is brutal that day.
- Bring folding chairs, a blanket, and sunscreen!
- Dogs are welcome but must be on a leash.
- If you are bringing little ones, ensure to bring a few other toys or books to keep them entertained.
- A portable fan will be your best friend if it is hot outside.
- Bring money for tips. The majority of musicians have a guitar case or tip jar out. If you enjoy their tunes stick a few bucks in there to show your support!
I can’t recommend this event enough. We had a gorgeous day and each musician/act was incredibly talented. The entire family thoroughly enjoyed listening and dancing to a variety of music, no one more than Sophie.
Porchfest is just one of the many festivals and events taking place around Hamiton, County. Autumn comes alive as Harvest Festivals, Oktoberfests and Halloween activities begin to fill the calendar. Treat your family to a special fall retreat by joining the fall festivities.