Embark on an Elk Adventure at the Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch in New Paris, Ohio. Witness Elk from the comforts of your vehicle during an educational drive-thru, stroll the meadow trek, then let the kids explore Action Acres. This guide will help you plan your perfect day at Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch.
Where is Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch?
Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch is located in New Paris, OH. It is roughly 90 minutes from Cincinnati and 90 minutes from downtown Indianapolis. The ranch sits near the Indiana border by Richmond, Indiana.
Address: 10684 Morrison-Mikesell Rd, New Paris, OH 45347
Things To Know Before Visiting Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch
Prepare to spend an entire afternoon at the ranch, especially if you are bringing children. We will dive into the juicy details on what all there is to do, but in the meantime, here are a few things to know before you visit.
- The ranch is NOT open seven days a week. They were open Thursdays and Fridays from 2:00 pm-7:00 pm at the time of this post. Then on Saturdays from 11:00 am-6:00 pm. Check their website to ensure they will be open when you arrive as hours may change seasonally.
- Parking at the ranch is FREE.
- While entrance into the park is free, many activities are sold ala kart or in a combo day pack. What is included in your free admission is parking, walking the 1/4 mile meadow trek, which takes visitors near the elk pastures, a visit to the Trading Post for a little shopping, and the Food Cabin.
- There are booths to buy admission at each attraction.
- Wear proper footwear. There is a fair amount of gravel and if you choose to hike.
- Bring sunscreen. There is not a lot of shade; however, the picnic area is in the shade.
- Wristbands are required to enter the designated areas.
- You are not allowed to feed the elk unless permitted and accompanied by staff.
What Is There To Do At Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch
Elk Adventure: Drive-Thru Elk Tour
One of the most popular things to do at Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch is to take the Elk Adventure Drive-Thru Tour. This tour leads guests through the pastures where the elk reside—Witness massive bulls with impressive antlers, the babies, and their mothers.
Guests are given a USB drive or a CD for vehicles so equipped to narrate the tour along with the paddocks, through the buffer strip, feeding alleys, and elk runways. The audio guide will bring the tour to life, providing fascinating facts about the Elk, their personalities, and their utility.
Follow the signs to the ticket booth for the Elk Adventure Drive-Thru. Signage is excellent throughout the entire park.
Keep in mind that NO motorcycles, buses, recreational vehicles, or trucks larger than a pickup are allowed in the drive-thru.
Tip: Elk will give birth in the spring between May and June. Plan on a trip in the spring to see the newborn calves.
2020 Pricing For The Elk Adventure Drive-Thru:
Free for children under 4
$5 Ages 4-11
$8 Ages 12 and older
Kids will go wild over this fun-filled action center. The massive ADA Playground Park was a popular spot with our daughter. Keep in mind there is little shade at the park; however, there are glorious swings perfect for adults to sit back and enjoy while their kids play. The playground area is mostly fenced with a play structure for toddlers as well.
The Wagon Train, aka barrel train, takes kiddos on a fun ride through elk country. With your day pass, the kids can ride as many times as they want! Right next to the Wagon Train is another popular spot, The Little Ranchers SandBox. This massive sandbox has plenty of tools for digging and creating the perfect sandcastle. Benches are all around because parents know they are in for the long haul.
Other fun items to do in Action Acres are the Intelli-Maze, Basketball Hoops, and Discovery Trails. Discovery Trails are easy hiking trails that highlight the history of Elk in this part of Ohio through educational boards throughout the hike.
To access Action Actions, you will park in the parking lot with the Food Cabin. To the right of the Food Cabin, there is a booth where admission can be purchased.
Admission to Action Acres as of 2020 is $7.00 per person. A combo pack can be purchased for $12.00, which includes Tailspin Slopes.
Located near the Trading Post, Tailspin Slopes offers kids two giant slides that are tons of fun. Grab your burlap sack and get ready for the uphill hike! There are also two Pedal Car Racetracks, which are popular! During our visit, one of the tracks was closed for repairs, so the other was often at a wait.
Admission to Tailspin Slopes as of 2020 is $9 per person. A combo pack can be purchased for $12, which includes Action Acres.
A popular stop while visiting the Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch is the Trading Post. The trading post is a country shop selling a wide variety of elk specialties such as elk jerky, elk steaks, elk roasts, and more. The store is also known for ranch-made pies, fudge, cookies, buns, and other tempting treats.
Browse their selection of antler products, gifts, souvenirs, and seasonal items. Vibrant mums, seas of pumpkins, along with traditional autumn decor, were available for purchase during our fall visit.
Hunger can strike anywhere, especially when on a ranch. Mosey on up to the Food Cabin to indulge in one of their many sweet treats or settle in for a home-cooked ranch meal. Currently, the only meal option available is their signature Elk Burger with sides. The meal has a full-size option and a half size option.
The Food Cabin also serves cold beverages such as soda and water.
The Meadow Trek is a 1/4 mile gravel path that stretches between the Trading Post and the Food Cabin. Guests can enjoy this stroll and do a little elk-watching along the way. We used it to venture from Action Acres to Tailspin Slopes.
Go behind-the-scenes to experience Quiet Harmony like never before by signing up for the Outback Encounter. Board the ranch rover and hang on tight as this unique adventure sends guests off the beaten path. A ranch hand acts as a personal guide, giving guests insider information about life on the ranch, fun elk facts, along with answering any questions that may arise. Headphones allow guests to hear the guided tour as they zip through the back forty.
The Outback Encounter offers incredible photo opportunities, including up-close encounters with the Elk, scenic wildflowers trails, and astonishing ranch views. Tours are currently only available to book on-site.
Learn more about Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch here.
Things To Do Near Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch
Quiet Harmony Elk Ranch has plenty of fun activities nearby to round out a weekend of adventure. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Visit Natural Springs Resort. Even if you are not camping, the campground offers day passes for guests to come to experience their crystal clear lake! In the summer months, they offer a Wibits obstacle course for guests to enjoy.
- Explore Richmond, Indiana. Richmond is full of fun activities for everyone. Whether it is hiking at Hayes Arboretum, finding the perfect antique on their antiquing trail, or finding all the murals throughout their small town.
- Warm Glow Candle Factory
- Discover The Covered Bridges Of Preble County